Friday, July 6, 2012

15 Summer Must Haves





Summer is underway (although it seems like it came months ago) and I couldn't be happier. I may not have air conditioning in my apartment and I'll probably complain about it but I'm still happy it's hot out. Any who...summer style is my favorite! It's simple and fun! I love being able to get up throw on a dress, flip flops and sunglasses and go! So I've composed a list of my Summer 15 Must Haves.




1. A basic swimsuit - Bikini or one piece. No ruffles or sequins or any fancy-smacy stuff. Just one basic color. When it comes to wearing a bathing suit confidence is a must.



2. Maxi Tank Dress - I got 2 from forever 21 last summer and I LOVE them. One's black and the other one is army green. They were around $12 and I would have paid more. I always thought since I was short that I couldn't wear maxi dresses without looking silly but so what! They're comfortable and you really don't have to worry about shaving your legs that much.



3. Jean Shorts- You can go cut off or rolled but jean shorts are a must! They're the ultimate in summer casual. But please don't pull a Miley and wear ones where your cheeks hang out. Leave something to the imagination.




4. Flip-Flops - I love flip flops. In high school I wore them year round until my father threatened to throw them away if I kept wearing them in the snow. I go crazy at Old Navy. They're so cheap that you don't mind when they break or get gross enough to throw out. Black and Navy Blue are a must!



5. Summery Clutch - Something bright and/or made of wicker/straw is perfect.



6. Sunglasses - An absolute must! The two pairs that I always have in rotation are fake Ray Ban Wayfarer and Gold Aviators. I get them every year from H&M.



7. Summer Dress - Great to throw on. Just something light and breezy. You can go colorful and prints or basic and classic. Either way they're a must for your closet.



8. Sandals that pop - Sandals with a bit of something extra are great for basic outfits like jean shorts and a t-shirt or a basic dress. I have ones from Old Navy that are neon yellow snake skin with a t-strap. I love them!



9. Plain T-Shirts - I'm still searching for the perfect t-shirt but I've found some great ones along the way. As usual H&M is wonderful for basic t-shirts that don't break the bank. I also like Madewell's t-shirts but you may pay a little more than you're comfortable with. I've also bought some good ones from Target.



10. Straw Fedora - I adore my straw fedora but it took about a year of it sitting in my closet for me to wear it. They're great to throw on when you’re having a not so great hair day.



11. A delicate necklace - I love these for the whole year but there’s just something so effortless about a delicate necklace and a summery dress. I actually need to invest in a new one but can't narrow down my choices. Gorjana has great ones but I never take mine off and they always end up looking sad after a few months.



12. Canvas Tote - Great for the beach and lunch with thegirls. I actually am looking into ordering one but I can't choose between the classic L. L. Bean tote or the fun Duck totes bags from Baggu.com.



13. Good Book - Thanks to my job I get to read a lot. More than I ever have. It’s always a good idea to have a good book stashed away in your bag, car or desk at work. I have my kindle which I read mostly on but I still love the feel of an actual book in my hand. A few summer read suggestions:
"The Glass Castle" By Jeanette Walls
"Hunger Games" By Suzanne Collins
The Fifty Shades of Grey Books by E. L. Collins
"Is everyone hanging out without me?" By Mindy Kaling
"Guilty Wives" By James Patterson
"White Girl Problems" By Babe Walker

14. Wedges - I'm ashamed to admit I only have one pair of wedges and I don't love them but I've been on the lookout for the perfect pair for the right price and have yet to find them. Wedges are easy to walk in and always come back in style every summer. So if you stick with a basic color you'll be able to wear them summer after summer.


 
15. Racer back Tanks - No matter what fabric or color a racerback tank is always a good buy. Easy to throw on and go with a skirt, pants or shorts. Plus they're something you can layer in the colder months.

I know I said 15 things but there's one more thing you must have in the summer..... A Good Attitude. It's amazing out! Don't waste the summer away in doors! Get out! Walk around. Picnic in the park. Start letterboxing (letterboxing.org). Go to the pool. Kennywood, Sandcastle, drink and/or eat outside. Just get out! Cause the summer is too short to waste away.

I would like to be here again. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment